Re: orion-list Sunday Times article on 'new scroll'

On Sun, 7 Nov 1999 Henry Checkon wrote:

> I have some questions, why are the "Thanksgiving Hymns" not as important
> as any other DSS material? The Angel scroll is nothing compared to the
> Hymns. Some of the hymns are first person and not visionary or angelic as
> the Angel Scroll suggest. I hear music in the Hymns but I hear nothing
> from the Angel Scroll that strikes the universal tone of music. Why isn't
> the music of the Scrolls being studied"? And if it is, how can I help?
> Peace, Henry

The Thanksgiving Hymns have been studied extensively. Check Eileen
Schuller's entries on our bibliography. Our director, Esther Chazon, has
written a great deal on the hymns and liturgy of Qumran. In fact, prayer
and poetry at Qumran is the subject of this year's international Orion
symposium, to be held in January.

Avital

Avital Pinnick, Ph.D.                      tel: 972-2-588-2063
list moderator/bibliography/web            fax: 972-2-588-3584
Orion Center for the Study of the Dead Sea Scrolls
http://orion.mscc.huji.ac.il - DSS bibliography updated weekly.