Re: orion-list Radiocarbon

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:45:13 +0200, gd@teol.ku.dk writes:

>Returning to the topic of radiocarbon dating and the Scrolls,
>there is no way the existing data on the texts, if accurate,
>can be harmonized with a 63 BCE terminus for the scrolls.
>Although I suggested this in a previous post, if it was not
>direct enough I wish to make the point explicit here.  The
>calibration curve between 55 BCE and 85 BCE is essentially
>flat, at about 2075 +/- 20 throughout these three decades.
>This means any texts from c. 85-63 BCE should all yield
>the same measurement, c. 2075 +/- 20, within margins of
>error.  (Older than 85 BCE the calibration curve rises.)  Any
>texts which measure significantly less than c. 2075 +/- 20
>are therefore indicating younger than 63 BCE.

   Thank you for supplying these numbers, Greg.

   I have summed them and given averages for
                      _                _
   both the averages (X) and the S.D. (x).

  Then I have provided Before Present (BP) and CE dates, assuming
  they were tested in 1990.

>Five texts did measure significantly below 2075 +/- 20.
>These are:
> 1QH                 1979 +/- 32
> 4Q266 D(a)          1954 +/- 38
> 4Q258 S(d)          1823 +/- 24 (#1)
>                   / 1964 +/- 45 (#2)
> 4Q171 pPs(a)        1944 +/- 23
> 4Q521 MessAp        1984 +/- 33
>                 _         _
>                 X = 1941  x = 31
>             _   _            _   _
>          So X + x = 1972 and X - x = 1911
>
>         Then BP when P = 1990 is
>                _
>             BP X = 39 CE
>            _   _             _   _
>    Then BP X + x = 18 CE, BP X - x = 79 CE
>
>It can be seen that these numbers are not consistent with the
>calibration curve level at 85-55 BCE.  These cannot be explained
>as random scatter.  On the hypothesis that many or even most
>of the 19 Qumran texts had true dates in the years 85-55 BCE
>(and none younger) one would expect somewhere between
>only 0 and 1 texts to give numbers like the above--but not five.
>Five of this kind of number is about 4-5 too many.

   IMO, the subset dates don't explain a 68 CE date of deposit.
   As the data stands, the subset argues for one of two
   explanations:
       1.  A second deposit after 63 BCE, or, since no evidence
           I know of has been found suggesting that;
       2.  The sample was contaminated during recovery and treatment.

   Since neither explanations seem capable of resolution, then
   further testing with wider choice of sample is the only option.
   Given the treatment of the material since recovery, it may be
   neccessary to clean some samples to destruction and lose those
   samples in order to minimize the effect of contamination.

   I'm interested in seeing what Prof.Jull says to your Q's, Greg.
   It will be useful, I'm sure.

   Sincerely

Tom Simms

For private reply, e-mail to Tom Simms <tsimms@mailserv.nbnet.nb.ca>