orion-list 1QS and hellenistic associations

Does anyone know of critical reaction or discussion of the article
by Matthias Klinghardt, "The Manual of Discipline in the Light of
Statutes of Hellenistic Associaitons", pp. 251-270 in M. Wise
et al, _Methods of Investigation of the Dead Sea Scrolls..._,
New York, 1994?

Klinghardt further develops comparative parallels between 1QS
and Hellenistic associations argued by Moshe Weinfeld 1986.
But whereas Weinfeld noted the parallels without claiming
that the association of 1QS was such an association, that is
the step that Klinghardt takes.  Klinghardt argued that not only
1QS but the origin of synagogues is to be understood in this
light, and that the Qumran Serekh texts are the earliest known
synagogue rules.  Klinghardt concluded: "comparing 1QS to
statutes of pagan-Hellenistic associations is of great
methodological importance: these analogies are the only ones
relative to the organization of the _yachad_ that we have so
far--no matter how convincing they are in particular.  In my opinion,
the burden of proof lies with the critics of this perspective . . ."

Greg Doudna

For private reply, e-mail to Greg Doudna <gd@teol.ku.dk>