Re: orion-list Golb on 63 BCE

   Dear Peterson
   The point of a cave being worked is not an issue of
comfort, though in part it is, but rather that it had been
worked, i.e. someone was utilizing it for a long term
purpose without any doubt. So if a cave had been worked,
the theory of a hasty deposit during a Roman siege may
potentially be ruled out, especially if it can be proven
the primary function of the caves was to be a depository
for the scrolls.
   Though during a time of difficulty an already existing
depository may prove convenient and serve several
libraries or collections in the surrounding area. Much like
what happened with the Nag Hammadi Manuscripts where
atleast three libraries seem to have hid a collection of
Gnostic texts together, for what ever reason. I just don't
like the single period single reason theorization.
Something always seems to be missing. And people are trying
to find contemporaries of their single favorite period of
deposit for the characters in our "drama", being portrayed
within the scrolls.
   As far as dating, I would like to see some stratigraphy,
but I suppose I can dream;).
   I am trying to get this job in Jordan, and I need to do
a research project. Y'know, if I get it, I just might dig
up everything written about the archaeology of the DSS and
put it on one big database/GIS, reconstruct the position of
the finds using photo's and put it on-line using VRML or
something like it.

Interesting chatting and thanks for some interesting and even
understanding replies.

Bradley Harrison