Re: orion-list Re: Golb on 63 BCE, single period deposit

To answer you question a test would have to be done on the
pots. TL testing or thermal luminescence(sp?) testing. This
will date when the pottery was made. It has the same error
almost as C14 dating. Compare this with the C14 and the
paleographic data and you will see a trend or the lack of
one.
    But for a quick answer look in Schiffman's book where
he gives that chart on the C14/paleographic dates. It was
mentioned early in his book. Unfortunately I've packed it.
But I must admit, I would need to look at the material
much closer than I have in the past. Plus the material
would need to be quantified. What age scroll was found in
what pot, what fragments were not found in pots, were the
caves natural or man made, what is the spatial distribution
of the caves, the scrolls, their ages and condition.
   But if we go by Schiffman's chart were are potentially
dealing with a tradition to hide, bury, deposit material in
those cave possibly dating from the Persian period through
to the Arabic period. This sound to me like a genizah type
tradition.

Brad Harrison