orion-list Scribes

Dr. Altman writes that we can say certain things about scribes with great
confidence: "scribes as a class of highly trained (and [well] clothed, housed
and well fed) people did not edit texts."   I understand that scribes also
worked under supervision.  I infer from what she has written that the texts
from Qumran were prepared by many, many scribes - about how many (perhaps
hundreds) I'm not sure.  Assuming arguendo these circumstances help define
scibes and that the texts found at Qumran were prepared by scribes, then
where would is it more likely that most of the Qumran texts were prepared:
(a) among the community at Qumran, (b) at Jerusalem, (c) at Jericho, or (d)
some combination of (b) and (c)?  Is it likely that there were many, many,
highly trained, well clothed, well housed and well fed scribes working under
supervision at Qumran - even over a period of several decades?

Mark Dunn
Dunnlaw@aol.com

P.S. Is there any evidence of scribes in Jerusalem between say 63 B.C.E. and
68 C.E. losing fingers, hands, heads etc. because they deviated from an
"official" text?
For private reply, e-mail to Dunnlaw@aol.com