Re: orion-list Pliny Qumran analysis (A. Baumgarten question)

    I have in the past supported Goranson's proposal on Agrippa as Pliny's
source on the Essenes.  I withdrew that support only when it became apparent
that Agrippa's commentarii were of an entirely different character than the
Essene excursus (which is quite consistent with Nicolas' work on _Remarkable
Customs_).  I would consider Goranson's proposal at least possible if:
    (1) The commentarii could be shown to have passages of a literary or
ethnographical nature comparable to the Essene excursus.
    (2) If there was any evidence that Agrippa's autobiography was used in
Pliny books 3-6 on geography or contained ethnographic essays comparable to
that on the Essenes.
    (3) Two late geographical treatises, Divisio orbis and Dimensuratio
provinciarum [in Geographi latini minores (A Riese, ed; 1878; repr.
Hildesheim 1964)] are thought to substantially derive from Agrippa.  Haven't
studied them yet.  If either of these treatises contain ethnographic
digressions, this would lend a degree of credibility to Goranson's proposal.
But by the same token, neither mention Essenes.

    Russell Gmirkin

For private reply, e-mail to RGmyrken@aol.com