Re: orion-list no fort

> You write
>
> > Marcus Agrippa, Pliny's source on Essenes, was a [good (so Tacitus)]
> military leader; he
> > recognized that Masada was a fortress and Qumran was not.
>
> How do we know what Augustus' companion had recognized?
>
> Dierk

However, for Qumran to be a fort in needs certain items,
like real fortifications. Now there is a difference between
a fortified villa and a fortress. (Iraq el-Emir for
example is a fortified palatial estate) Even Masada is not
a true fortress as it's primary function is a palatial
estate for a paranoid king, it guards no pass nor had any
real military value other than to annoy Romans after they
eliminated all the real strategic opposition.
  Consider functionality and not some stereotyped global
view where it has a wall is must be a fort. You even have
fortified villages, and they are not true forts,
necessarily. There is no military presence in Qumran until
the Romans. And towers do stand alone in many areas not for
fortification but to keep a look out, to get early
warning signals from closer settlements and forts, and so
on. This is why forts have towers, but it is not the towers
that makes it a fort. Glacies, gates that are death traps,
towers, strategy... such makes a fort a fort.
   At around this time, as recorded in the Zenon papyrus,
there were roving bands of raiders in the area that the
Tobiads raised personal war against. I wonder if Qumran has
a viewshed to Iraq el-Emir, the Tobiads Palacial estate on
the other side of the Dead Sea? But at any rate, this
justifies a need for any settlement to have some defence,
i.e. a wall and/or tower. But this does not automatically
equate it as being a fortress.
  It makes me laugh this debate;)

Brad Harrison
MSc Archeological Computing