orion-list Fountain House at Dan

I'm looking at Biran's book on Dan in the chapter on the sanctuary and am
trying to make sense of his explanation of the Roman-era fountain house
located at the west side of the sacred precinct (pp. 229-31).  He indicates
that the excavators initially thought that it was a nyphaeum or a mikva, but
found elements missing for it to be either.  His suggestion is that it is a
fountain house like ones found at the temple of Apollo at Delphi or the
temple of Asclepius at Corinth.  So far I've found evidence of more than one
fountain house at the temple of Apollo at Delphi, including the Kastalian
fountain and a small fountain house (perhaps more on the order of the one at
Dan) immediately next to the temple on its southeast side (see the drawing
in Robert Flaceliere, Greek Oracles, opp. p. 1).  Does anyone have any
insight on what Biran has in mind, or information on the possible function
of such an installation (I can make some educated guesses, but they would be
guesses).

David Suter
Saint Martin's College

For private reply, e-mail to "Suter, David" <dsuter@stmartin.edu>