Re: orion-list Anchorites

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 02:24:24 +0200, haGalil@gmx.net writes:

>-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----

   As I understand from various sources, this error is often made.
   Perhaps some on the List might comment more lucidly, for I'm
   not competent in Hebrew, but I don't think my second hand sources
   are wrong.  Jesus the Nazorean is NOT Jesus the Nazarite but
   more properly fits his brother Joseph.  See my next comment.

>It started approx. 300 CE in the area of the former Seleucid capital
>Antioch (?, visited by Jerome in 377 BC) only to fade away 250 years
>later. The medieval 'English' version seems to be less more then a
>romantic return to assumed genuine roots of purity. Connections
>between Anchorites and the DSS via Pauline interpretations based upon
>similarities e.g., in the 'light'-terminology are unknown to me.
>Unfortunately we find no Hermits searching in the wilderness for the
>devil in themselves in the DSS corpus, presumably because the yachad's
>devil lived in the metropolis.
>
>However, I'm not Lucifer - may be the story goes the other way round.
>If so, the Crosstalk-list should know everything much better.

  Lucifer, the light bearer?  He'd be lost on Crosstalk.

>Shalom & Cheerio
>
>Dierk

Tom Simms
For private reply, e-mail to Tom Simms <tsimms@mailserv.nbnet.nb.ca>