Re: orion-list Re: self-definition

Dear members of this list,

I don't know if I can go any further on this issue. I am not a scholar in
the field. I have merely questioned the method of an interesting proposal
that doesn't seem to have been presented with the necessary back-up to
warrant the conviction of the proposer. All I can see now in my
correspondence with Mr Goranson is a merry-go-round, taking us no further
than where we stand now.

At this point I would like to bow out of the discussion and ask all of you
who have the time to "vote" on the issue. In the archives I have found only
Russell Gmirkin who argued that the case was less than convincing, Fred
Cryer who argued that it had been falsified on philological grounds, and
recently Sigrid Peterson has expressed her lack of conviction. Do you think
that Mr Goranson's proposed etymology is as convincing as he seems to think
it is?

Mr goranson@dke.edu,

If I understand correctly, it is normal to go to one's mail box, get one's
mail and post what one has to post. This is what I did last night. Amongst
the mail I got was your kind offer. The letter I sent was the one you have
just responded to. You wrote: "But I received no response. No response, a
response which would have included a postal address. Odd, that." I don't see
anything particularly odd here. I did refrain from replying to your offer
until I saw your reaction on the list and I must admit a certain diffidence
about sending strangers my address. If it is still valid I will be glad to
read your article.

Next you return to Ian H. for some reason. People have written to explain a
little about your conflict with him. But would you be so kind as to supply a
few dates so I can read what this person has done to you?

Then you said: "One asks for statistics; I gave numbers". It would be good
to have some comparisons as to the different uses of 'asah and 'osey in the
various fonts. It would be useful to see how often 'osey is used in the
scrolls as compared with other self-references to see if it is a preferred
reference. I have not noticed any examples provided for the single-standing
'osey (ie with no qualifying words of any kind), which one would expect if
'osey were "indeed" the source of the word "Essene".

You will note that I am not rejecting your proposal. I have said that it is
interesting and I still feel that way, but then Robert Eisenman's analysis
of Belial and its relationship with Bela and Edom (hence Herod) is also
interesting. I for one need to get beyond the interesting stage to something
tangible. Until something tangible arrives, can you see any reason for not
going with the more commonly accepted etymology? Hopefully your article will
supply that something tangible.

"I think that evidence for and agreement on this etymology is growing." I
would really like to hear from list members as to the validity of this
statement and of the etymology itself. Does anyone find the proposal
convincing?

Thank you.

Peace.

Ann L. Kraemer

*       Her ways are ways of pleasantness       *
*         and all her paths are peace.          *
*                          -Proverbs 2,17       *