Re: orion-list Were DSS Expansions? Was TOR in the future?

> >I think I may have posted about this a while ago, but I am still
> >interested......I have long wondered how much sanctity the believers in the
> >DSS ascribed to their re-worked versions of the Torah, and the
> >aprocryphal/pseudipigraphical works. If they weren't valued to the same
> >extent as the Torah or the rest of scripture, did those works reflect
> >"commentaries" or "koines" or expansions that incorporated commentary in a
> >way similar to rabbinic midrashic works?? Thus, when we find a re-worked
> >version of Deuteronomy or such, was this really a competing version of the
> >Bible itself, or just a "midrashic" version? Indeed, this question could be
> >asked of the Samaritan Torah too; Moses Gastner argued that it was an
> >expansion document that came to be the official canonized version for the
> >Samaritans......

I'm not sure who posed this one originally, but one possible response
would be to look at the surface detail associated with the scroll to
determine the degree of care or approach to production used in order to
reach some sort of conclusion about the degree of value placed on the
manuscript.  I have been looking at J.T. Milik's discussion of
manuscript C of the Aramaic Enoch manuscripts, which he presents as a
carefully copied manuscript with plenty of space devoted to indentation
and spaces.  Does this indicate some sort of special value associated
with the manuscript at least on the part of the scribe who copied it?

David Suter
Saint Martin's College

--
David W. Suter, Ph.D.