orion-list Clarification? Ostrakon find

I think that the latest Doudna / Goranson exchange regarding the 1996
ostrakon discovery was generated (rather parenthetically at first) because
GD drew an analogy between the burial fill in which the grave lamp was
found and the discovery of the ostrakon; SG challenged that analogy by
referring to the correction made by Jim Strange of some earlier
descriptions of the circumstances of the ostrakon find -- namely, that the
ostrakon came from "packed-earth" (thus in some sense "in situ") rather
than from more recent fill ("disturbed" context, as with the grave lamp).
I'm not sure that this became explicit in the exchanges; it is, of course,
a relevant issue for dating the respective finds.

If there is/was more to this, I've missed it. Sorry.

Bob

--
kraft@ccat.sas.upenn.edu
For private reply, e-mail to kraft@ccat.sas.upenn.edu (Robert Kraft)