Re: orion-list 2Macc's "Daphne near Antioch"

Dear Dierk,
  You raise a legitimate question.  As I recall, it was governor Andronicus
who lured Onias III out of his sanctuary and had his assassinated, at the
instigation of Menelaus (2 Macc. 4:33-34).  Andronicus was appointed
temporary governor of Antioch in the absence of Antiochus IV Epiphanes.
Diodorus also alludes to Andronicus as govenor, his assassination of Seleucus
(the nephew of Epiphanes), and his execution by Epiphanes on the latter's
return to the city.  From these events it is clear that Antioch is the
northern location, the Seleucid capital of Syria.  For a discussion of these
events and their bearing on the date of Onias' death (i.e. 170 BCE), see J.
Goldstein, II Maccabees (Anchor Bible vol. 41A; Doubleday and Company, Inc.:
Garden City, New York, 1983) 238.  You will find the Diodorus citation there
-- I don't have it in front of me.

    Russell Gmirkin

    PS Does anyone have a more exact bibliographic reference on a book or
article titled "The Use of Psalms in I Maccabees"?  Thanks.

For private reply, e-mail to RGmyrken@aol.com