Re: orion-list re: Mattfeld

At 09:49 AM 4/21/99 -0400, Jim West wrote:
>I too think that Walter is quite within his rights to offer his stuff to
>interested folk.  After all, there was not a year ago a notice from
>Garcia-Martinez regarding his collection of scrolls and no one complained-
>in fact we are all quite pleased to see the materials announced and
>available.  Further, the materials Walter is willing to send are free of
>charge so it is not exactly proper to say that he is "advertising".  Surely
>a price worth paying!  (Which is more than can be said for Brill's
>overpriced stuff).

I have always allowed people to post notices of papers which they choose to
make available by private e-mail. While one might argue that Walter
Mattfeld's paper on the sabbath and Gilgamesh is more appropriate for ANE,
his mssg was short, courteous and to the point. It did not appear in any
way to be a commercial message.

I want to set the record straight on the other matter to which you
referred. In my 3.5 years of moderating this list, I have only allowed one
commercial message, for F. Garcia Martinez's DSS Study Edition (Feb. 3,
1998). It was posted by the Brill religion publisher, and not by Prof.
Garcia Martinez himself, with my explicit permission, offering a discount
to the list. (Ironically, it was in response to your query, Jim.) That was
a one-time decision, based on the interest of the list at the time. In
general, the incidence of commercial, off-topic mssgs on Orion is extremely
low.

Avital Pinnick

Dr. Avital Pinnick                                tel: 972-2-588-2063
Chief of Publications                             fax: 972-2-588-3584
Orion Center for the Study of the Dead Sea Scrolls, Hebrew University
http://orion.mscc.huji.ac.il - DSS bibliography updated weekly
For private reply, e-mail to Avital Pinnick <mspinnik@mscc.huji.ac.il>