orion-list Teacher of Righteousness

It is interesting that there is (was) a lecture on the subject of the
Teacher of Righteousness, having just read an interesting article in Bible
Review by Ben Zion Wacholder in which he basically argues that the writer
of the Damascus Document was anticipating the arrival of the Messiah after
the 390 year period after the First Exile, with the Messiah known as the
Teacher of Righteousness. I myself had wondered about this possibility too.
The argument seems to be based on the translation of the verb tenses - that
they are in the future tense rather than the past tense. My question is: if
this theory is self-evident from the grammar of the text, then why has
Wacholder's argument not become more prevalent?

David Goldman
Free-lance Translator
davic@erols.com
For private reply, e-mail to David Goldman <davic@pop.erols.com>