Re: orion DOES EPIPHANIUS KNOW WHAT PHARES MEANS?

   Epiphanius appears not to have known Hebrew/Aramaic (cf. his mangling of a
translation at Panarion 19.4.3-6).  So little reliance can be placed on the
exact form "phares" (which is in any case a transcription into Greek).  But
Epiphanius does show that one current explanation of the name Pharisee is that
it came from a similar Hebrew word meaning "separation."  Whether that was the
correct origin of the name or not is a different matter.

   Russell Gmirkin

For private reply, e-mail to RGmyrken@aol.com