orion OSSENES: WHICH VOLUME FOR EPIPHANIUS?

Dear Russell Gmirkin,

I am absolutely fascinated with your references to Epiphanius (and to the
Abstract).

I would very much appreciate the bibliographical data (Title, Editor,
Year, ISBN) for the volume or volumes you are using.  I would like to
delve into this material more thoroughly and think your concise email
would be a great roadmap for doing so.

Thanks!

George Brooks
George.X.Brooks@JUNO.com

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999 01:49:53 EST RGmyrken@aol.com writes:
>Dear Stephen,
>    First, let me apologize for my inaccurate statement that you
>claimed that >"Philo was a Stoic."  I wrote my last posting on my
laptop, away from
>my >office and documents I should have reviewed before sending my email.

>You were >right to take me to task for misrepresenting you on that
point.
>    Since you have seen fit to respond mainly regarding the Ossenes in
>Epiphanius, I will confine my reply to same. >    First, the Ossenes
were clearly of Jewish origin.  Epiphanius >indicates >they originated in
pre-Christian times (19.5.6).  As you pointed out  >from >19.15.1, they
kept "the Jewish life in Sabbath observance,
>circumcision, and >the keeping of the law."  However, they are also
portrayed as
>"forbidding the >books <of Moses> like the Nasaraeans" (19.15.1,
continuing the quote;  >the >Nasaraeans were Jews who kept all Jewish
customs but for sacrifices,
>but >claimed that Moses did not author the Pentateuch [18.1.4]), and
also
>"accepted >other writings in addition to the law, though they rejected
most of
>the >prophets who came afterwards" (Abstract 15.18, which, though
perhaps
>not by >Epiphanius, nevertheless contains comparable information).
Further,
>according >to Epiphanius they had succumbed to the heresy of the
Elkesites
>(Sampseans).  >This is immediately relevant to your equation of Essene
with "doers of  >the >law."  Even if the Ossenes had once observed Jewish
customs, would

For private reply, e-mail to George Brooks <george.x.brooks@juno.com>