Re: orion Essenes = 'osey hatorah?

At 09:42 AM 1/18/99 -0500, S. Goranson  wrote:
 >the evolution of some self-descripions or
>self-designations into terms used by outsiders does not always occur in a
>discrete, identifiable moment.

Stephen, could you clarify a particular point of your position - which of
the following statement is true in your view:

1) "Osei ha-Tora" already acts as a label/identifier in the DSS texts
(using your example, as "haredim" functions in 20th century Israeli politics)

or :

2) "Osei ha-Tora" appears purely as a description in DSS texts, and at some
later point, outside the texts we have, develops into an identifier of the
DSS community.

Thank you,	Asia
For private reply, e-mail to asia@checkpoint.com