SV: orion Essenes = 'osey hatorah?

Stephen Goranson:

> Greg Doudna  wrote "Of course [...] Philo is of no real weight"
> and then asked me "On what basis" do I think that *his* interpretation
> of Philo is wrong. But, if he thinks Philo is of "no real weight,"  why
> even ask?

I am sorry if my question was not clear.  To repeat the question:
I asked why you reject the proposal of Cross and others, which
happens to have been Philo's 1st century CE view, that the name
"Essene" is a Greek transliteration of an Aramaic pronunciation
of "hasids".  The reason I asked is because you do reject it, and
I am asking if you can cite any good reason for excluding the
"hasid" proposal.  Can you?  What about the "hasids"
explanation do you find implausible?

Greg Doudna
For private reply, e-mail to Greg Doudna <gd@teol.ku.dk>