Re: orion Hanukkah civil holiday?; Etc.

Dear Russell Gmirkin.
	Previously, you attempted to separate out "civil" observances. Now
you attempt, apparently, to separate "religious" ones from "sacred" ones.
Any dictionary would caution you about this.
	Here is a simple observation: with over 850 manscripts manifesting
pervasive religious concerns--including festival prayers, calendars, and
texts of more genres and sources than you seem to wish to allow--the
absence of any mention of Hanukkah is indeed an indication of interest to
historians. Added to clear disapproval of Hasmonean temple administration
and the absence of any copy of 1 and 2 Maccabees, the non-participation in
this observance is striking, and  not likely to recede after mere proposed
imposition of artificial categories.
	If, as is probable, the Hasmonean Alexander Jannaeus is the Qumran
ms wicked priest, and if, as is probable, Judah, an Essene mentioned by
Josephus, is the Qumran ms teacher of righteousness, and if, as is
possible, Shimon ben Shetah is the Qumran ms man of the lie, these further
accord with the above observations.
best wishes,
Stephen Goranson
goranson@duke.edu