Re: orion 1st BCE generation; War Scroll

    [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]
    [Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-8" character set]

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Sigrid Peterson <petersig@ccat.sas.upenn.edu>
An: orion@mscc.huji.ac.il <orion@mscc.huji.ac.il>
Datum: Donnerstag, 24. Dezember 1998 04:17
Betreff: Re: orion 1st BCE generation; War Scroll

Bravo Greg, doubtlessly war starts with an expectation of a final victory,
normally after a more or less realistic assessment of the military
possibilities. But I thought of  the final victory syndrome of destroyed
forces based upon nothing but fanaticism and orientated on pure wishful
thinking of their usual xenophobe (and in so far less able to adopt)
political leaders. I^Òve understood Sigrid^Òs reference to the final victory
via resurrection of the dead Holy Worrier in times of Jihad  - now justified
as righteous. Though I follow her in the quest of the origins of the end
time symbolism, I judge the hope of  resurrection as the philosophical
platform to support the motivation of being ready to die at military work
and not as the primary aim of at last worldly orientated liberation-wars
and/or conquest-expeditions. However, such martyrdom for righteousness ^Ö
individual or collective - was followed later by mass-suicides like the
known of Gamala and Masada. Was that the expected kind of final victory in
the world to come, the innovative "Endsieg", bloody as ever?

The events in connection with the installation of the "Greuel" (Luther) by
Antiochus IV - a naked statue of the (uncircumcised) Zeus at the top of  the
Temple - led to the war of liberation which started on the 25th Kislev 168
BC as a typical guerilla of a bearded young elite coming down from the hills
and it ended with the Temple cleansing likewise (!) on the 25th Kislev 165
BC.
The closed historical passage describes a disaster followed by a decisive
victory with irreversible results. Exactly this provisional result excludes
(beside the completely different calendaric Sitz im Leben of the events)
the connection to the War Scroll and its military sources: If you read my
post carefully you would have seen that I^Òve pointed on TWO disasters
followed one another: The trauma of Stalingrad founded the finally
disastrous counteroffensive of the Germans. And the trauma of Pompey  in 63
BC founded the finally disastrous counterrevolution of Antigonos^Ò ante-Roman
(and therefore pro-Parthian) guerilla taken in tow by Pacorus^Ò cataphracts
in 40BC, exactly when the ruler of the (Eastern) Romans, the Triumvir M.
Antony hold sway in Egypt (cf. 1QM col. i,1-8; esp. line 4). In both cases
the fanatics now started to dream ...
N.B. To divide the Essenes from the ante-Roman front seems to be more a
quest of belief (e.g. in Josephus^Ò harmless connection to the self-banished
Is 40:3-Bannus, as harmless as the theological followers of the
Essene-thesis) ) than a quest of verifiable facts.

Merry Xmas,
for there shall come forth a Mechokkek like a star
out of the stem of Jesse the Betleheminite,
and a Branch shall grow out of his roots like a scepter
Therefore never send know for whom the bell tools;
it tolls for thee.

Dierk