Re: orion 1st BCE generation

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]
    [Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-8" character set]

I suppose it's possible that everyone else understands the point at issue below but can we back up a step? What is the distinction between a "religious" and "civic" holiday not in our 20th century post-Christian world but in the world of 1st century (either BCE or CE) antiquity?  Do you mean that holiday a is thought of as having been ordered by a DIvine Being and holiday b is not?  True but possibly trivial as Hanukah keeps status b (well, most of the time) in the Jewish tradition.  Surely, you do not mean that holiday b was observed regardless of religious affiliation.

                                                                                                                                 Steve Oren
                                                                                                                                 Chicago, IL