RE: orion 1st BCE generation

	Thanks to R. Gmirkin for thoughtful comments.
	On the diversity of scribal hands, language
	forms, genres, etc., this to me seems
	compatible with, and even suggestive of,
	contemporaneity.  Think library collections,
	both ancient and modern.

	However I know of no "weak form" of the
	1st BCE generation hypothesis.  The only
	form I have is the strong form stated in the
	Flint/Vanderkam article.  The bulk of the
	texts clustering at the late-end, with some
	stretching back earlier, and the late end
	for all texts sometime in the 1st BCE.

	It is of keen interest to me whether any
	argument can be set forth on grounds internal
	to the texts for seeing Herod the Great in the
	texts.  Herod does not appear by name, but
	perhaps an argument could establish his
	presence indirectly?  Herod the Great was THE
	superstate--how could the scrolls not know of
	Herod if texts were being authored subsequent
	to Herod?  I do not see any such text-internal
	argument establishing Herod's presence myself,
	but perhaps others might.  If Herod is _not_
	present in this huge quantity of Scrolls in
	some way, somewhere, this to me is very
	suggestive of the date of the late-end.
	Remember, it only takes a single text indisputably
	established in the 1st CE and the 1st BCE
	generation hypothesis is dead in the water,
	just like that.

	On a separate matter, F. Cryer might not be
	back to the office for a while.  A comment was
	made by one contributor to this list that Cryer's
	reading of the Ostracon had been "rejected by
	Greg Doudna . . . and evidently not
	thought worth comment by Cross and Eshel."
	Cross and Eshel's articles were submitted before
	Cryer's appeared.  In any case the issue of the
	correctness of Cryer's reading of the Ostracon
	had absolutely nothing to do with the 17 Dec
	post of Cryer being responded to.  (The point,
	as I read Cryer's post, being not the
	good faith of an archaeologist's report but the
	distinct issue of human fallability and error in
	a good faith report.)  I am sure the poster was
	well-intentioned, but nevertheless it could come
	across as if ad hominem was being substituted
	for responding to issues.
	I for one respect every serious attempt at
	engaging a difficult ostracon, and we are all
	better off for the work that went into the
	respective contributions of Cross/Eshel,
	Yardeni, and Cryer on this text, even if not
	more than one of the three divergent Line 8
	readings can be correct.  My name was cited
	as if my preference for Yardeni's reading was
	relevant to something (I don't know what).
	Fred and I have spirited disagreements
	concerning readings all the time; its all
	in a day's work.

	Holiday greetings to all.  May there be
	peace on earth in our lifetimes--

	Greg Doudna