RE: orion 1st BCE generation

	On the radiocarbon dates, see the graphic
	display of the 21 Qumran items on p. 462
	of the Flint/Vanderkam volume.  You can
	see at a glance that there is only ONE
	(not SEVERAL) of the 21 radiocarbon dates
	at two sigma which begins later than
	about 50 BCE.  (Exact numbers are at the
	table on pp. 468-471.)

	Out of 21 items, I proposed that the bulk--not
	necessarily all, but most of these--are roughly
	contemporary at the final generation of the
	distribution.  Of the 21 radiocarbon datings,
	12 items overlap c. 50 BCE at one-sigma,
	another 4 items overlap c. 50 BCE at the
	early end of two-sigma, and 1 item is
	entirely removed from the range of 50 BCE
	(4QpPsA, which is completely 1st CE).

	In the article I argued that this distribution is
	not significantly different than what would be
	produced if these texts all held true dates in
	the mid-1st BCE.  By "generation", although
	I noted in Flint/Vanderkam that the term was
	to some extent arbitrary, I did intend it in
	the usual sense (c. half century or so),
	situated somewhere within the 1st BCE, with
	the cave deposits also in the 1st BCE.

	On another point, the deposits in the caves
	will likely have ended through some political
	circumstance affecting the site.  That is the
	case whether one holds to 1st BCE or 68 CE.
	In neither case does it mean the people of
	the Scrolls quit producing more texts.  It
	simply means no more of their texts
	ended up deposited in caves at that particular
	site (Qumran) after a certain date.  It gives
	no information concerning the fate or further
	history of the texts' scribes, readers, or
	owners.

	Greg Doudna
	Copenhagen