Re: orion Scroll coverings

According to SAbramo884@aol.com:

> I reread a paperbound ed. of an old book on the DSS.  Principally the
cave 1
> scrolls, but also the cave 4 ones.
> It was indicated that there was also found linen coverings for the
scrolls
> with patterns on them.
> There was blue thread runing in rectangular patterns.
> Anyone know what the significance of the patterns was?
> Any information about the persons who wove these covers available?  Can
we
> determine where the linen originate?

The expert on the linen coverings is Mireille Bolle. She herself is a
weaver, and has had access to the materials stored at Ecole Biblique in
Jerusalem. She reported on her work at the International Congress on the
Dead Sea Scrolls--Fifty Years After Their Discovery, held in Jerusalem in

July of 1997. It is not possible to know where the linen originated,
according to Bolle; however, her own experience with weaving led her to
suggest, informally, that the person who wove one particular covering was

extremely depressed and angry, because of the tightness of the weave.

Sigrid Peterson   UPenn   petersig@ccat.sas.upenn.edu