orion Hemerobaptists

Dear List-members,

In his "Church History" (22:7) Eusebius quotes Hegesippus who refers to
seven Jewish sects (while Josephus refers to four): "Essens, Galileans,
Hemerobaptists, Masbothaeans, Samaritans, Sadducees and Pharisees." Can
anyone help me with information about the group called Hemerobaptists? I
am
interested in their origin and beliefs. This group is also mentioned by
Justin (Dialogue with Trypho, ch 80) as "Baptists".

A group with the name "Morning-bathers", probably the same group, is
mentioned in Tosefta Yadaim 2,20 in the Ms. Vienna (See "Tosefta", ed.
M.
S. Zuckermandel, repr. with new Foreword by Saul Lieberman, Jerusalem,
1930, p 684.) I refer to two other sources which are not available in
Norway:
Saul Lieberman ,1939, "Tosefet Rishonim" vol IV,Jerusalem, p 160.
Louis Ginzberg, 1941, "Perushim ve-Hiddishim bi-Yerushalmi, Vol II, p
230.

Regards
Rolf Furuli
Lecturer in Semitic languages