Re: orion Copper Scroll & the Persian Influence

Dear Herb Basser:

I specifically mentioned an Ancient Writer, not an Essene Writer.

I am speaking of the marvelous writings attributed to Hippolytus.  If I
have the story correctly, his writings on the Essenes were found only
about 100 years ago in a Greek Monastery, and so... presumably... have
survived some periods of passionate editing that other writings may have
been subjected to.

The interesting thing about his "collection" is that he wrote or
collected the writings say around 200 or 300 AD, but the material on the
Essenes "sounds" like it was written while there were STILL Essene
factions roaming around.

I could try to deliver the relevant text (which is somewhat lengthy) if
you would like.

George Brooks  (813) 886-9643
George.X.Brooks@Juno.Com

On Sun, 6 Sep 1998 19:42:42 +0200 (IST) Orion List
<msorion@mscc.huji.ac.il> writes:
>From: Herb Basser <harryfox@chass.utoronto.ca>
>Subject: Re: orion Copper Scroll & the Persian Influence
>Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 19:56:38 -0400 (EDT)
>
>I see refernce made to an ancient essene writer and wonder if george
>is referring to josephus, who says something like what george says
>although somewhat different, or whether george has unearthed an
>authenticated essene document somewhere? what do you mean by an
>ancient essene writer?
>
>herb basser

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]