orion 4th Int'l Orion Symposium

FOURTH INTERNATIONAL ORION SYMPOSIUM
Orion Center for the Study of the Dead Sea Scrolls
Hebrew University, Jerusalem
January 27-31, 1999

HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVES:  JEWISH HISTORY FROM THE MACCABEES TO BAR KOCHBA
IN LIGHT OF THE DEAD SEA SCROLLS

	This symposium will assess the implications of the Dead Sea
Scrolls for our knowledge of the history of the Jewish people in the land
of Israel from the period leading up to the Maccabean Revolt to the
aftermath of the Bar Kochba Revolt (c. 200 BCE-200 CE). The rich
discoveries from the various sites along the Dead Sea and its immediate
vicinity (Qumran, Masada, Nahal Hever, Wadi Murabba'at, Nahal Seelim,
Nahal Mishmar, Khirbet Mird, Wadi el-Daliyeh and Jericho) will be
considered together with the previously known sources for this period
(inscriptions, documents, historiographical writings, early rabbinic
sources, and other ancient literature). The symposium will serve as a
forum for discussion of the integration of these diverse ancient sources
with the aim of attaining a better picture of the political, economic,
social, and religious history of the period.

This notice has also been posted to our web site.

Avital Pinnick, Ph.D.                                   tel:
972-2-588-2063
list moderator/bibligrapher                             fax: 972-2-588-3584
Orion Center for the Study of the Dead Sea Scrolls
http://orion.mscc.huji.ac.il - DSS bibliography updated weekly.