orion Talmon and the Qumran "Library"

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]
    [Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-8" character set]

First, I would like to apologize if mail was bounced back from my account to
the list as my college's internet connection was down for a week.

Second, in his essay ³The Community of the Renewed Covenant: Between Judaism
and Christianity² Talmon notes his reticence to use "library" as a technical
term for describing the Qumran scrolls (p. 7 fn. 12). The reference he gives
for his full discussion of this issue is "The Essential 'Community of the
Renewed Covenant': How should Qumran Studies Proceed?" in Paper of the
Library of Congress Qumran Symposium. Now as far as I know, the essay
actually appeared in Geschichte-Tradition-Reflection,1 Judentum, eds. H.
Cancik, et al. Tübingen: J. C. B. Mohr (Paul Siebeck), 1996, though I do not
have access to this volume.

Is anyone familiar with the essay and could give me the reasons why he is
reticent to use the term "library" when discussing the scrolls.

Thanks in advance.

-Tyler
Tyler F. Williams
Assistant Professor of Old Testament/Hebrew Bible, NABC/EBS
11525 - 23 Avenue, Edmonton, AB, Canada   T6J 4T3
Phone: (403) 431-5217/ Toll Free: 1-800-567-4988/ Fax: (403) 436-9416
Web Page: http://www.nabcebs.ab.ca/~twilliam