Re: orion phylacteries at Qumran

In a message dated 98-07-16 14:13:02 EDT, Tim wrote:

<< Thanks Paul,

 Now I'm *really* interested. Not being in the loop, could I get someone
 to give some advice on how to obtain the dissertation offline (if more
 appropriate). Meanwhile, I will do an online search. The title would
 indicate a more comprehensive scope than Yadin's study.

 Toda,
 Tim

 pamandel@jtsa.edu wrote:

 > Regarding the recent query concerning the phylacteries at Qumran, I
 > suggest reading the following doctoral dissertation:
 >
 > David Rothstein, 'From Bible to Muraba'at:  Studies in the literary,
 > textual and scribal features of phylacteries and mezuzot in ancient
 > Israel', UCLA 1992

ALL doctoral dissertations in the United States are available from UMI
Dissertation Services, 300 N. Zeeb Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48106, U.S.A.
(1-800-521-0600, 313-761-4700).  They have a fixed price for a microfilm
blowback (about $60).  I don't know what they charge for microfilm itself.
You might also be able to obtain a copy from UCLA, of course.

Best regards,

Robert Leonard
Winnetka, Illinois