Re: orion Book of Jonah in DSS

Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 10:26:07 -0700
From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur@nyx.net>
To: orion@mscc.huji.ac.il
Subject: Re: orion Book of Jonah in DSS

> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 13:43:24 +0000
> From: Bob Schacht <Robert.Schacht@NAU.EDU>
>
> Orioners,
> I have recently resu-bscribed, and before posting this question, I
scanned
> the archives back to May 1st for answers to these questions without
> success, so here are my questions:
>
> 1. Are there any surviving fragments of the Book of Jonah in the DSS? I
am
> wondering in particular if it appears in E. Tov. The Greek Minor
Prophets
> Scroll from Nahal Hever (8HevXIIgr) (DJD VIII; Oxford: Clarendon, 1990).
> The table of contents posted on the Orion DJD page is not detailed
enough
> to tell. I presume the answer to the first question is "yes", because of
> the oft-quoted remark that the DSS contain fragments of all books of the
> Tanakh except Esther.

The existing passages in the Greek scroll are 1:14, 16; 2:1, 4-7;
3:2-5; 3:7-10; 4:1-2, 5

> 2. Are there any surviving *Hebrew* or *Aramaic* fragments of the Book
of
> Jonah in the DSS?

Yes.  Mur XII (see DJD 2:190-192) contains nearly the whole book.

> 3. Is there an internet site somewhere that indexes the DSS by canonical
> Biblical text? I'm thinking of a simple listing of canonical books in
the
> first column, with a second column listing DSS manuscripts of portions
of
> those books, and maybe a third column listing DSS manuscripts which
comment
> on the canonical book (mostly the peshers). Or maybe with the second and
> third columns combined. I am aware of the large number of DSS that are
NOT
> fragments of any Biblical text, and I am also aware that many DSS
> manuscripts are too fragmentary to classify. But such an index of the
> canonical texts would be quite useful.

I don't know of an Internet site.  I compiled such a book years ago
and am in the process of updating it for publication.  Details as
they become available.

> 4.Are there any other DSS which quote from or refer to or comment on the
> Book of Jonah?

Not that have been published so far.  My book includes both biblical
scrolls and citations in nonbiblical scrolls, and I don't have any
references to Jonah to date.
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
When in doubt, go for chocolate.  Life is too short
not to.