orion Book of Jonah in DSS

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 13:43:24 +0000
From: Bob Schacht <Robert.Schacht@NAU.EDU>

Orioners,
I have recently resu-bscribed, and before posting this question, I scanned
the archives back to May 1st for answers to these questions without
success, so here are my questions:

1. Are there any surviving fragments of the Book of Jonah in the DSS? I am
wondering in particular if it appears in E. Tov. The Greek Minor Prophets
Scroll from Nahal Hever (8HevXIIgr) (DJD VIII; Oxford: Clarendon, 1990).
The table of contents posted on the Orion DJD page is not detailed enough
to tell. I presume the answer to the first question is "yes", because of
the oft-quoted remark that the DSS contain fragments of all books of the
Tanakh except Esther.

2. Are there any surviving *Hebrew* or *Aramaic* fragments of the Book of
Jonah in the DSS?

3. Is there an internet site somewhere that indexes the DSS by canonical
Biblical text? I'm thinking of a simple listing of canonical books in the
first column, with a second column listing DSS manuscripts of portions of
those books, and maybe a third column listing DSS manuscripts which comment
on the canonical book (mostly the peshers). Or maybe with the second and
third columns combined. I am aware of the large number of DSS that are NOT
fragments of any Biblical text, and I am also aware that many DSS
manuscripts are too fragmentary to classify. But such an index of the
canonical texts would be quite useful.

4.Are there any other DSS which quote from or refer to or comment on the
Book of Jonah?

Thanks in advance,
Bob
Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.