Re: orion Day of Atonement/Jubilee

Jonathan,

In light of 11Q13, you should also take a look at 1 Enoch 6-11.  Some
have seen Day of Atonement implications in the 'Asa'el/'Azazel figure
(see Paul D. Hanson, "Rebellion in Heaven, Azazel, and Euhemeristic
Heroes in 1 Enoch 6-11," _JBL_ 96 [1977]: 195-233) -- I think that the
allusions are secondary but there.  While you will want to determine if
there is Jubilee language in the passages about the renewal of the earth,
11Q13 includes references to atonement for "all the sons of God" and
references to "Belial and the spirits of his lot" (as well as an allusion
to Psalm 82:2) in what are to me obvious allusions to the story in 1
Enoch 6-11.  While I'm not sure what you will find, Jubilees is another
obvious place to look.

Hanson's thesis is that the story of the fall of the Watchers places
atonement at the cosmic level rather than the cultic, which is
interesting in light of discussion of the Essenes and the temple.

David Suter
Saint Martin's College

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Anders Aschim wrote:

> (Jonathan D. Safren):
>
> >Does Second Temple sectarian literature deal with or even
> >mention the proclamation of the Jubilee Year on Yom Kippur?
>
> Certainly: 11Q13 (Melch), col. II. The whole column is saturated with
> Jubilee language, in fact reads like a commentary on Lev 25. The Day of
> Atonement is explicitly referred to in II 7.
>
> I would be very interested in your paper, and in your thoughts on the Day
> of Atonement/Jubilee in this Qumran texts.
>
> Anders

> Stipendiat Anders Aschim
>
> Det teologiske Menighetsfakultet
> (The Norwegian Lutheran School of Theology)
> POB 5144 Majorstua
> N-0302  OSLO, Norway
> Odegardsliveien 7
> N-1914  YTRE ENEBAKK, Norway
>
> Tel. O: (+47) 22 59 06 12/H: (+47) 64 92 51 64
> Fax: (+47) 22 69 18 90
> e-mail: Anders.Aschim@menfak.no

David W. Suter
Saint Martin's College