Re: orion Tallit compared to San Vitale Mosaic

    [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]
    [Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-8" character set]

Prof. Bregman

Notched bands and gamma patterns were found during Yadin's excavations
of Masada and Nahal Hever 5/6. Check the following:
^ÓTextiles from Masada^Ô, Masada IV, pp 153-243; pls 1-8. Pl 1a = notched
band and pl 6= gamma pattern.
^ÓWoolen Textiles^Ô, The Finds from the Bar-Kokhba Period in the Cave of
Letters, Vol. 1, chapters X-XI, pls. 59-98

Perhaps the discussion you are familiar with is found in Yadin's popular
book Bar-Kokhba  in the ^Ó"Wardrobe" ^Ó chapter, pp 66-85. He points out
that in the earliest evidence from Dura Europas and Graeco-Roman
Egyptian coffins the notched band was found on men's garments and the
L-shaped ^Ógamma^Ô pattern on women's.
At Dura Europas the depiction of Abraham in the Aqeda motif on the torah
shrine lacks the gamma sign. However, he is depicted wearing what seems
to be a tallith with a notched band on WING PANEL IV: ^ÓAbraham receives
the promise^Ô. Excavations from Dura Europas, Final Report. Part One: The
Synagogue. pls. XVI, LI, LXXVIII.

I have seen the fabric remains from Qumran (both the site and the
caves). To my knowledge, no such ornamentation existed there. On the
other hand, at least in the caves (Cf. DJD I for example), strands of
tekhelt (^Óindigo^Ô) die was used as well as ^Ófringes^Ô on certain linen
garments.

It should also be kept in mind that the use of the gamma pattern was not
limited to Jewish garments during late antiquity.

I would be interested to know the reference you are noting from the
Hazal.

Stephen Pfann