Re: orion The Diverse Cemetery of Qumran

On 5/26/98 S. Peterson wrote:

>As far as I was aware, in reading de Vaux's notes, there was no mention of
any
>coffins. At most, some graves appeared to have some substance that might
have
>been wood dust. I checked this after Vermes spoke at the 50th anniversary
>Conference last Summer in Jerusalem.

You are correct!  According to Hanan Eshel, de Vaux and Steckoll discovered
coffin nails in some of the excavated graves but no wood.  Eshel and Magness
both believe that the wood disintegrated.  For more on this see the Jan/Feb.
1998 issue of BAR.

>My own reading of the notes (Humbert, 1997) indicates that there is less
>information about the cemetery than has previously been thought.

This is not surprising considering the small number of graves excavated and
the lack of published material on the excavations.

>Ground penetrating radar is in its infancy; perhaps in ten years we will be
able
>to assess the dimensions of the skeletons in the cemetery at Qumran, and
there
>actually will be something we can say about a community that lived there
(or, as
>one published hypothesis has it, the regiment that was buried there, all on
one
>day.

Given the political climate of Israel it is unlikely that the cemetery at
Qumran will be excavated in the near future or at all.  Having said that,
let us hope that science continues to perfect non-intrusive tools such as
ground penetrating radar.

Ian Werrett
MA Candidate
Trinity Western University