orion The Diverse Cemetery of Qumran

On 5/26/98 S. Pfann wrote:

>As I pointed out in my paper at the FALL ASOR MEETING (this should be in
>print soon), the cemetery at Qumran had been carefully segregated into
>two sections, representing different settlements:
>1) The main cemetery: exclusively a male CELEBATE group (from the
>Yahad/Qumran)
>2) The peripheral cemeteries lie on five lower but adjacent hillocks:
>containing FAMILIES of men, women and children. (from camps of married
>Essenes). Unlike those typical graves of the main cemetery (there were 4
>atypical, intrusive round or rectangular ones), some of the corpses of
>the peripheral hillocks were carried and buried in coffins. (showing
>that they had to be carried a distance).

I apologize in advance for my ignorance if I have missed part of this
conversation but I am confused.

How are you able to make these generalizations about the cemetery when only
45 (36 by de Vaux and 9 by Steckoll) out of some 1100 or so graves have been
excavated?

I appreciate your use of DSS material to bolster your hypothesis, (1QTa
XLVIII 12-14), however, I am interested to know if you are also utilizing
additional archaeological information which I am unaware of.

Ian Werrett
MA Candidate
Trinity Western University