Re: orion Etymology of "Essenes"

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]
    [Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-8" character set]

As I have said repeatedly, there is no point in trying to discuss seriously
with Mr. G; one only gets yet another variant of the same hypothesis back
in one's face. If the root ´sy (= ´asah) had provided a convincing
etymology for the word "Essene", we would not still be having this
discussion, 50 years after the discovery of the DSS. I have pointed out
precisely what is unconvincing about it; those who nevertheless advocate it
do so because they are convinced for other than philological reasons of
what the various Greek-language tradents "must" have had in mind. Sigh.
This isn't how scholarship is done.

Fred Cryer