Re: orion Cave 4 again

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

  The questions about the conditions in Cave 4 and the state of the scrolls
found there, especially the common sense wonderings of Dave Washburn, are
refreshing to see.
  The real question should be how could unprotected pieces of leather
possibly have survived for 2,000 years? The Son of God text, 4q246, was
found under several feet of bat dung as I understand, which isn't a very
good preservative I wouldn't think. There was clearly moisture in the
cave(s) and the bromine and other chemicals contaminants found in the
scrolls include some highly destructive agents that, it seems, would have
made the survival of the scrolls for 2,000 or so years doubtful.

  David Crowder
  El Paso