Re: orion Into the Temple Courts

Dear Mark,
That is a valid hypothesis only if there are synagogues in Palestine prior
70 ce.  A point which is undemonstrable at our current state of evidence.
None of the  pre-70 buildings in Palestine that have been studied by
archaeologists show any iconography or other indications that they are
anything more than a place to meet.  I have argued this point in print, and
while few scholars agree with the observation, none have been able to
definitively show that Masada, Gamla, Herodian, etc. are synagogues.
Paul

>It seems to me that if one assumes that Qumran was part of a larger
>social/political/economic corridor along the west coast of the Dead Sea from
>En Gedi to Jerricho, then it is likely that there was some central synagogue
>(or alternate to the temple) somewhere in this area.
>
>Mark Dunn
>Dunnlaw@aol.com

Paul V. M. Flesher, Director
Religious Studies Program
University of Wyoming
Laramie, WY  82071-3353

PFlesher@uwyo.edu
307-766-2616

Confucius said: "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study
is dangerous."
Analects 2:15