Re: orion Solinus, Dio, Pliny, M. Agrippa

I have learned some from this exchange with Russell Gmirkin, but his ending
declarations are less rational than wishful. It is not evident that
Posidonius "relied exclusively on Hecataeus." To require that Posidonius of
Apamaea, Syria--one of the most learned writers of his century--knew
nothing other about Jews than what made its way into Strabo's Geography is
amazing.
	We know, from Josephus, that Strabo (in History) wrote a good deal
about the Jews. Russell Gmirkin's presentation requires that none of that
came from Posidonius. RG further requires that Strabo, in writing
Geography, must necessarily have included all that he learned about Judaism
from Posidonius--but not all that he learned from other sources. Such is
special pleading.
Stephen Goranson