Re: orion Golb on the "'Yahad' Claim"

> At 02:20 PM 2/25/98 -0600, you wrote:
> >Norman Golb has written a short note entitled "QADMONIOT AND THE "YAHAD"
> >CLAIM" and made it available at:
> >http://www-oi.uchicago.edu/OI/PROJ/SCR/Yahad.html
>
> Now here is clear, positive, absolute evidence that the "yahad" reading is
> completely impossible.  The letter is clearly not a yod!

Agreed.  I've said that all along, and it's why I made my scans
available on the net, so anybody can see that the letter is not a
yod.  And while we're on the subject, let me reiterate that N-shaped
hets in other writings mean absolutely nothing for this ostracon; the
only question is, does the person who wrote this item ever use such
letters?  The answer, clearly, is "no."  His hets are typical hets,
and his N-shaped letters are alephs.  Appealing to other documents,
inscriptions, etc. is nothing more than wishful thinking, because
this writer simply didn't do it.

> Professor Golb has debunked the suggested reading; how can it receive any
> support at all?  The only reason one would wish to call the letter a yod is
> for tendentious reasons in support of a predetermined theory regarding the
> scrolls and the Essenes and their putative connection to the site at Qumran.

You just hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head.
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"Now I have $2736.15.  Every time I count my $500,
I get a different amount."