orion Correction

Mark Dunn wrote:

>Qumran could serve as a place for ritual bathing, reading scripture,
>discussion, prayer, communal meeting on holy days, a treasury, an archive
>(library?), and perhaps a place of refuge.  It could play a part similar to
>the one described by David Suter in his recent post.  In this scenario, Qumran
>need not be looked at as a place where a single sect was in total control.
>Perhaps, it was more like the temple where several sects with similar - but
>not identical - views could come together.  It might also account for a large
>number of burials?  It could also explain why the Romans would feel compelled
>to destroy the site in about 68 C.E. - i.e., we are not going to have any more
>temples or quasi temples!  Maybe those tables that are the wrong height were
>stacked with scrolls or scroll jars.
>
>Mark Dunn

Mark, I did contribute to this thread with comments about Herod's
treatment at Callirrhoe and the compatibility of agrarian pursuits and a
community center, but you need to be careful in acknowledging
contributions to an argument you have built up not to leave your
contributor looking as though he/she supports your whole position.  I
appreciate the respect implied in being cited but feel it necessary to
make it clear that the position you put forth in that post is yours and
not mine.

David Suter
Saint Martin's College
dsuter@stmartin.edu