Re: orion Hirschfeld implications

    [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]

Dear orion list,
The post quoted below makes some unfortunate assertions, in my opinion.
	I skip the first sentence, as I don't know to whom Fred was
responding, as he did not quote or identify to whom.
	The second sentence appears to suggest that some people in the
discussion suffer from the psychological malady of cognitive dissonance. If
so, that would, perhaps, be an ad hominem remark.
	In any case, the early ASOR group and Sukenik and others introduced
the possibility of the Essene identification for reasons which have not
been shown "wrong" or "false," including the communal group described in
1QS, a group known as Essenes, and Pliny's text locating Essenes by the
Dead Sea. Their introduction was not "gratuitous." The idea was not
"trotted" out, despite the rhetoric of derision below; it was suggested as
a possibility by numerous scholars from differing backgrounds. The evidence
has increased since then.
	Logically speaking, if someone in the 18th century got something
wrong, it does not necessarily follow that this "shows" that an idea in
1948--which, furthermore, was not Christian-centered--was wrong. At least
here I can agree with Fred to the extent that studies such as Siegfried
Wagner, Die Essener in der wissenschaftlichen Diskussion vom Ausgang des
18. bis zum Beginn des 20. Jahrhunderts: Eine wissenschaftsgeschichtliche
Studie (BZAW 79; Berlin, 1960) make for interesting reading.
	The next portion proposed a hypothetical case about what we would
have assumed. But Pliny did not describe "small sites." The plural was
added by Prof. Cryer, who previously wrote incorrectly in regard to the
relation of Hirschfeld's site vis-a-vis the location of Uzi Dahari's site.
As to what Prof. Cryer has written "all along," anyone wishing to check the
archives can see for themselves whether there is any tension between his
discussions of disinterested, scientific methodology and disinclination to
regard all evidence and proposals with the same standards of proof.
Best regards,
Stephen Goranson
goranson@duke.edu
Duke University