Re: orion Hirschfeld implications

Fred,

On 23-FEB-1998 06:03:24.3 orion said to VCBROWN
   > Once again, emphatically no, at least not from the viewpoint of
   >scientific theory. It is a curious feature of human psychology, but
   >one which has been well studied recently, that people will continue to
   >adhere to many of the elements of a given hypothesis that has obtained
   >currency for some time even once it has been shown that the
   >assumptions that originally gave rise to the hypothesis were wrong...
	Wish I could agree with you. But I am reminded of other psycho-
logical studies whose object was learning.
	And I am reminded of an anecdote that I have often told in regards
to the "Death of God" theology. In the anecdote a news reporter wants to
interview a Death of God theologian. Three times the reporter asks a ques-
tion. Each time the D.O.G. theologain interrupts him and proclaims louder
and louder that he is waiting for a new revelation. After the 3rd attempt
the reporter leaves and the death of God theology fades away for lack of a
forum and an audience.
	There are 25 rocks in the pond in my backyard. I want to arrange
them. You say that my arrangement is wrong, but you don't offer an alter-
native. Heck, Fred, I'm going to arrange them. The arrangement makes sense
to me and you keep saying that you don't know what arrangement would look
better.
	Need a "paradigm shift," Fred.

Virgil Brown
vcbrown@delphi.com