Re: orion "small sites"; "first Dead Sea Scroll"; etc.

Prof. Goranson's remarks on CD are well made. IMHO, it is still
inappropriate to think of CD (i.e. MSS A and B) as a  'Dead Sea
Scroll'/'Qumran' document at all since a 'complete' recension (cf.
MS A) of this text has not been found at Qumran and the court is
still very much on the question of the community for which CD was
intended. To say that the community/ies of CD is/are related to the
community/ies of the 1/4/5Q Serekh ha-Yahad material is not tantamout
to saying that CD is a Dead Sea Scroll, though it does raise
important questions about the status of CD as an 'Essene' document.
What research is currently being done on the status of CD as a
Karaite document, or as a document which Karaites would have found
edifying?

James Harding
Department of Biblical Studies
University of Sheffield