Re: orion the first toll?

"Essenes" in Greek has two forms, Essaioi and Esshnoi [h=eta]. Also Ossaioi
and Osshnoi in Epiphanius (and cf. Slavonic Josephus). And osios in Philo.
	Essaioi (or related Latin) is used by Philo, Fl. Josephus,
Hegesippus, Apostolic Constitutions, Porphyry, Epiphanius, Jerome [Esseos],
Nilus, Isidor, the Suda,  and others.
	Esshnoi (or related Latin) is used by Fl. Josephus, Pliny [Esseni],
Synesius (Dio), Hippolytus, Epiphanius, Filaster, Isidor, Michael of
Antioch, Solinus, Joseph (c. 380?), and others.
	There are about sixty proposed etymologies, involving Greek,
Hebrew, Aramaic and/or Syriac, Persian Avestan, Sanskrit, Akkadian, and
others.
	The etymology I find persuasive is from the Hebrew root 'asah, used
in self-descriptions in Qumran texts (e.g., 'osey hatorah in 1QpHab 8.1).
For further information: "Essenes" in Oxford Encyclopedia of Archaeology in
the Near East (1997) 2:268-9.
Stephen Goranson   goranson@duke.edu