Re: orion Hirschfeld's Excavations

I have recently retranslated Pliny for some work I'm doing. I am still
discussing it with some readers, so won't post it on Orion. In the
context of the passage as now translated, below is a better fit. However,
translating "below" would not rule out the new settlement being *an*
Essene settlement, because I'm convinced that Pliny is referring to
"the shore of the Essenes" when he comes to discuss the northwest corner
of the Dead Sea and its littoral.

"Noxious vapors" is a particularly strange translation of what Pliny says,
which is more like "polluted things." That is, the Essenes want to live
away from polluted things.

Enough,
Sigrid Peterson   UPenn   petersig@ccat.sas.upenn.edu