Re: orion How did the MMT get its name?

    [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]

On the name MMT, given by Elisha Qimron and John Strugnell and taken from
the text, line C 27:
	The text had been listed previously (by JS and/or JTM?) in the card
concordance as "Proto Mish Heb" and "Mish Heb." Milik made brief reference
to it (language and genre), without the name MMT, e.g., in DJD III (1962)
221-5. In "An Unpublished Halakhic Letter" in Biblical Archaeology Today
(conference 1984; pub. Jerusalem,1985)  page 400: "we have called" it MMT.
(Both terms in the description "halakhic letter" have met with criticism.)
A similar statement by Qimron and Strugnell is in a somewhat different
article with the same title in Israel Museum Journal 4 (1985) 9. After the
former article there is published some audience discussion, including by
Yadin, which also refers to the name MMT and  also refers to a parallel
phrase from the text, using devarim. The foreword to DJD X (p. vii) by
Strugnell suggests this title was agreed upon in 1981 ("...which we now
began to call" MMT).

Stephen Goranson   goranson@duke.edu