Re: orion Newsday piece

I think I may be the guy referred to below (Para. 6).  While I am not in
Oslo (although there IS an Oren family of Norwegian background in this
city), I did say that a number of teenagers with good Hebrew backgrounds
read it that way.

The real question is: to whom does the phrase belong?  If to "Isaiah" (i.e.
a pre-exilic Israelite author), consider Deut 32:8 where the variants (see
BHS)make YHWH a son of Elyon.  Individuals that have fathers surely have
mothers.  In other words, we would have a reference to a pre-henotheistic
Israelite religion in which El and YHWH had not yet become the same god.  Of
course, the Isaiah scroll is the oldest copy of Isaiah and thus best
evidence (other things being equal) as to the "original text".

Suppose the alternative--that the reading originated at Qumran.  Well, a
major theme of much scholarship has been the links betweeen Qumran and the
later Gnostics (Nag Hammadi & all that).  They of course thought of YHWH as
an evil god (a logical conclusion, one supposes, from the destruction of the
Temple)but also equipped him with a mother.  Perhaps, the mother came before
the evil in this tradition.

There is, by the way, a certain fitness about this matter not being in the
edition published by Yadin.  He was a Zionist of Ashkenazic Jewish descent.
Neither modern Hebrew nor traditional Ashkenazic Hebrew distinguishes alef
from ayin:  "from" from "mother of".  From his viewpoint, this is an easy
spelling error to make.  But it seems clear that this was NOT the case in
2nd Temple and Mishnaic Hebrew so that a scribe, however poorly educated,
who spelled phoenetically would get this right.

                                                               Steve Oren